Cookie policy: This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) to simplify and improve your experience of this website. Cookies are small text files stored on the device you are using to access this website. For more information please take a look at our terms and conditions. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies.


Subscribe or Register

Existing user? Login

Obituaries & tributes

Vol 279 No 7471 p367-368
29 September 2007

Ainsworth On 31 August, John Bertrand Leslie Ainsworth, aged 88, of Pinewood Lodge, Didworthy, South Brent, Devon TQ10 9EF. Mr Ainsworth registered in 1949 and retired from the Register in 2003. Mr Ainsworth was president of the International Homoeopathy Pharmacists Committee from 1976 to 1978. (See tribute )

Clark On 9 September, Michael Thomas Henry Clark, aged 78, of 10 Kings Drive, Eastbourne, East Sussex BN21 2NU. Mr Henry registered in 1956 and retired from the Register in 2004. (See tribute )

Hannah On 12 September, Robert Henderson Hannah, MRPharmS, aged 79, of Westacres Nursing Home, 3 Westacres Road, Newton Mearns, Glasgow G77 6WW. Mr Hannah registered in 1951.

Newey On 24 August, Arthur Ernest Newey, MRPharmS, aged 87, of 1 Willow Drive, Chapel-en-le-Frith, High Peak, Derbyshire SK23 0ND. Mr Newey registered in 1942. (See tribute ).

Williams On 24 August, John Stephen Williams, aged 94, of Meifod, County Road, Penygroes, Caernarfon, Gwynedd LL54 6EY. Mr Hughes registered in 1937 and retired from the Register in 2004.

Wood On 20 August, Ronald Wood, MRPharmS, aged 93, of Merricott, Tydehams, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 6JU. Mr Wood registered in 1937 (corrected announcement).


Ainsworth In a tribute to the late John Bertrand Leslie Ainsworth , STEVEN KAYNE writes:

The homoeopathic community has lost a great supporter in the passing of John Ainsworth. He made an outstanding contribution to homoeopathic pharmacy for more than 30 years. 

John began reading for a degree in chemistry at King’s College London and Bristol, but with the outbreak of the 1939–45 war his studies were interrupted and he joined the Devon Regiment in Exeter. Commissioned in 1940 he moved to the Staffordshire Regiment and subsequently saw action in North Africa and Italy with the Eighth Army. He returned to the UK in January 1944 from where he was posted to north west Europe shortly after D-Day. John sustained a serious leg wound that was to trouble him for the rest of his life, and was finally invalided out the army during the following year.


John’s wife Peggy, whom he married in 1942, had a family connection with Dudley Everitt, a director of A. Nelson & Co, homoeopathic pharmacists of Duke Street, London, and he secured employment there. He took a two-year pharmacy course with the aid of a government grant for interrupted studies and joined the Register on 22 July 1949, after completing a preregistration year at Nelson’s. John stayed with the company for many years eventually becoming a director.

Following the tragic death of his two fellow directors, Mr and Mrs Dudley Everitt, in an aeroplane crash in 1972, and the subsequent sale of Nelson’s to the Truth Research Foundation, John opened his own homoeopathic pharmacy on 6 June 1978 in New Cavendish Street, London, with a staff of six. The grant of royal warrants to HM The Queen and HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother soon followed.


From 1978 until John’s retirement in April 1989 (when the staff had grown to 56), Ainsworth’s Homeopathic Pharmacy prospered and enjoyed considerable professional and public support. The pharmacy served three Royal physicians — Marjorie Blackie, Charles Elliott and Ronald Davey — and a host of other influential clients.


John supported the work of the British Homeopathic Association enthusiastically throughout his professional life, joining its council in 1955 and serving as treasurer for many years, before being elected life president in 1992. He was also a council member of the Homeopathic Trust. John was instrumental in promoting homoeopathy at a time when consumers were beginning to ask questions about the safety of orthodox medicines.


He organised courses for pharmacists through the BHA and encouraged the over-the-counter supply of homoeopathic medicines. John and Peggy contributed to BHA roadshows around the country; I recall that the events were accompanied by much fun and laughter (for the presenters) but were also effective in spreading the idea of responsible and appropriate use of homoeopathy.

In Europe John was president of the International Homoeopathic Pharmacists Committee (CIPH) for three consecutive years and UK member of the CIPH Scientific Commission, where he contributed to early work on the European Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia.

His important contribution to homoeopathic pharmacy was acknowledged through the award of fellowships by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society and the Faculty of Homeopathy (where he was the first pharmacist to be so honoured) in the 1990s. 

I knew John Ainsworth for more than 40 years. I greatly appreciated his willingness to share his extensive knowledge and his great support during my formative years as a newly qualified pharmacist. His dry wit was legendary. John is survived by his three children Vivienne, Hilary and Philip, to whom his colleagues express their deepest sympathy.

Clark In a tribute to the late Michael Clark , Stephen Chappell writes:

Michael Clark trained at the school of pharmacy in Brighton and later took responsibility for the family business, established by his great grandfather in Eastbourne.

In the mid 1970s he transferred to our district mental health service as principal pharmacist based at Hellingly Hospital; soon he was participating in the varied activities of a residential psychiatric care unit and his abilities were frequently called upon. 

As health provision moved forward he participated in the development of community care, drug dependency support and other services. Towards the end of his working life he suffered long-term health problems but these rarely prevented him continuing as an advocate for those in need of support, even though his own health may have been on a par with theirs.

Michael was devoted to his family and they to him. He enjoyed life and wanted others to do so, too. We remember him as a pharmacist but more so as a kind, tolerant, caring gentleman.

Thanks Mike. Bye!

Newey In a tribute to the late Arthur Ernest Newey , DAVID HOYLE writes:

Pharmacists in the Peak District will remember Arthur Newey with affection and gratitude. 

Arthur qualified in 1941 from the Liverpool school of pharmacy (now part of John Moores University). After working for Boots at its all-night shop in Liverpool, he joined the Royal Air Force and became a pilot officer and later a navigator. He was to fly in Anson aircraft in Canada, sometimes flying in temperatures as low as minus 10C and later, in Scotland, he flew Tiger Moths and aerobatics were regularly performed.

After the war he went to work in industry at Boots in Nottingham, took further examinations and became a fellow of the Royal Institute of Chemistry. Subsequently he was offered the job of chief development chemist with E. Griffiths Hughes in Manchester, where he was involved with such products as Rennies, Radox, Kruschen Salts and Kwells.

After further experience in industry he decided to return to community pharmacy and in the 1960s bought two pharmacies in Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire. He retired in 1983 and continued to work as a locum in the area until 1995.

Arthur was a man of immense kindness and patience with a wonderful sense of humour. He had total integrity and was liked by both staff and patients. We shall miss him and extend our deepest sympathy to Etta (his wife for more than 60 years), Jim, Carol, Patsy and the grandchildren.

Timmins In a tribute to the late Leslie Ernest Timmins (PJ , 15 September, p311), ANNE NOOTT writes:

Leslie first attended Wolverhampton Municipal Grammar School and went on to study pharmacy at Birmingham University. He registered as a pharmacist in 1942. During the 1939–45 war, he joined the Royal Air Force and was stationed in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) working on radar.

After the war he met and married Brenda, with whom he had three sons and a daughter. He remained devoted to his family throughout his life, and in November this year he and Brenda would have celebrated 60 years of marriage.

Leslie worked for 40 years as a pharmacist and manager at Eggington’s Chemists in Lower Gornal, Dudley, where he was much loved and appreciated by all his customers, patients, staff and the Eggington family. Even in later years, when he was unable to attend many local branch meetings, he always kept himself up to date with current issues in pharmacy.

This July he was proud to have completed 65 years on the Register of Pharmaceutical Chemists.

Our sympathies go to Brenda and to his children — he will be missed by all who knew him.

Citation: The Pharmaceutical Journal URI: 20067530

Have your say

For commenting, please login or register as a user and agree to our Community Guidelines. You will be re-directed back to this page where you will have the ability to comment.

Recommended from Pharmaceutical Press

RPS publications

Pharmaceutical Press is the publishing division of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, and is a leading provider of authoritative pharmaceutical information used throughout the world.


Search an extensive range of the world’s most trusted resources

Powered by MedicinesComplete
  • Print
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Save
  • Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF

Newsletter Sign-up

Want to keep up with the latest news, comment and CPD articles in pharmacy and science? Subscribe to our free alerts.