December 2015: AWSMG approvals
The following medicines have been approved for use in NHS Wales by the All Wales Medicines Strategy Group (AWMSG):
- Abasaglar (a biosimilar of insulin glargine; Eli Lilly and Company) for diabetes mellitus in patients aged 2 years and above.
- Sucroferric oxyhydroxide (Velphoro; Vifor Fresenius Medical Care Renal Pharma) for controlling serum phosphorus levels in adults with chronic kidney disease who are on haemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis where non-calcium based phosphate binders are considered appropriate.
- Tedizolid phosphate (Sivextro; Merck Sharp & Dohme) to treat adults with acute bacterial and skin structure infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (only when advised by a local microbiologist).
- Raltegravir granules (Isentress; Merck Sharp & Dohme) for oral suspension to treat human immunodeficiency virus infections.
- Adalimumab (Humira; AbbVie) to treat severe plaque psoriasis in children and adolescents aged 4 years and above.
- Tinzaparin (Innohep; Leo Laboratories) for the extended treatment or prevention of symptomatic venous thromboembolism in adults with solid tumours.
- Denosumab (Prolia; Amgen) for adults and skeletally mature adolescents with an unresectable giant cell tumour of bone (only via the approved patient access scheme).
Full details of restrictions are available from the AWMSG website (www.awmsg.org).
Citation: The Pharmaceutical Journal URI: 20200384
Recommended from Pharmaceutical Press
Pharmaceutical Press is the publishing division of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, and is a leading provider of authoritative pharmaceutical information used throughout the world.Visit rpharms.com