Cookie policy: This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) to simplify and improve your experience of this website. Cookies are small text files stored on the device you are using to access this website. For more information please take a look at our terms and conditions. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies.


Subscribe or Register

Existing user? Login

PJ Online | PJ Letters: Pensions

Home > PJ (current issue) > Letters | Search

Return to PJ Online Home Page

The Pharmaceutical Journal
Vol 268 No 7204 p903-905
29 June 2002

This page


PDF* 65K


  Prescription charges
  Community pharmacy
  Product identification
  Medication errors
  The Council
  The Profession

Letters to the Editor

  * PDF files on PJ Online require Acrobat Reader 4 or later.


A call for annual statements

From Mrs M. E. M. Martin, MRPharmS

I would like to advise pharmacists that if they are in a Government job, eg, as a hospital pharmacist, and have to take a pay reduction for going down a grade, they should make sure their existing pension is preserved at the higher rate. A second pension is then started at the lower grade. This is much better than getting the "best of the last three years".

One can in any case lose out if one returns to work at the lower grade. I went down a grade in 1978 when I got married but though I left in 1979, the best of my last three years was not considered. After quite a fight, and also thanks to the Royal Pharmaceutical Society library which found archived salaries for me, I have got a rise of over 20 per cent in my hospital pension.

I am trying to fight for annual statements before retirement age, on leaving the National Health Service and on changes in grading. I found that the Guild of Healthcare Pharmacists was not interested because I have not been a member since 1979.

I am sure I cannot be the only one who has had to go down a grade to work part time. Even men may choose to go down a grade before retirement "getting too old for the stress and unpaid overtime" or having to look after elderly parents. In my fight I discovered several other mistakes in my pension calculation:

  • Saying I had received the best of the last three years when I had not
  • No London weighting
  • No maternity leave
  • Wrong length of service (although this was corrected)

Annual statements on leaving would prevent many of these errors. If private pension schemes can give annual statements, why not the Government.

Margaret Martin
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Send your letter to The Editor

Previous Topic (CPD)
Next Topic (The Council)

Back to Top

Home | Journals | News | Notice-board | Search | Jobs  Classifieds | Site Map | Contact us

©The Pharmaceutical Journal

Citation: The Pharmaceutical Journal URI: 20007132

Rate this article 

Click to rate

  • 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

0 out of 5 stars

Have your say

For commenting, please login or register as a user and agree to our Community Guidelines. You will be re-directed back to this page where you will have the ability to comment.

Recommended from Pharmaceutical Press

RPS publications

Pharmaceutical Press is the publishing division of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, and is a leading provider of authoritative pharmaceutical information used throughout the world.


Search an extensive range of the world’s most trusted resources

Powered by MedicinesComplete
  • Print
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Rate
  • Save
  • Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF

Jobs you might like

Newsletter Sign-up

Want to keep up with the latest news, comment and CPD articles in pharmacy and science? Subscribe to our free alerts.