Tribute to Robert Trevor Hutchinson
Robert Trevor was born in Shipley, West Yorkshire, in 1934. He went to Keighley Boys Grammar School and studied pharmacy at what is now Bradford University. He trained with Timothy Whites Pharmacy, where he met his future wife Barbara, and registered with the Society in 1958. After his marriage in March 1961 he bought a chemist shop in Silsden, West Yorkshire, which he ran with Barbara until 1969.
He served as a pharmacist in the Army Medical Corps in Berlin as part of his national service.
From 1969 to 1973 he worked for Fairbank Kirby in Grimsby which later became Unichem. From 1973 to 1980 he went into business with Mr and Mrs Starling, who also studied at Bradford, and together they set up Starling and Hutchinson on the high street in Tadcaster. He then moved to B & T Hutchinson in Bishopthorpe Road, York, until he retired in 1994.
He was an active member of the York branch of The Pharmaceutical Society. He also was a member of the British Society for the History of Pharmacy, where he enjoyed attending its conferences, and a friend of the Thackray Medical Museum in Leeds, to which he donated some items.
Citation: The Pharmaceutical Journal DOI: 10.1211/PJ.2016.20200541
Recommended from Pharmaceutical Press